Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Adoption - Louisiana Foster Children In Need of Forever Homes
Interested in becoming a Foster Caregiver?
We need you!
If you are interested in learning more about Adoptive Parenting please contact your regional DCFS Home Development office for the most up-to-date information on orientation and training.
Expand Your Family Through Adoption!
Services include the assessment of families who apply to adopt, matching available children with available homes, preparing children for placement, and providing services to our adoptive children and families before, during, and after placement is made to include provisions of adoption subsidy services to eligible families.
Determining If You Are Ready To Adopt:
- Intro to Foster/Adoptive parenting
- Common Questions about Foster and Adoptive Parenting
- Foster Parent Handbook
- Am I Ready To Be a Foster/Adoptive Parent Quiz
- Educate Yourself About Adopting
- Special Needs Adoption
- Glossary of Adoption Terms
- Become a Foster/Adoptive Parent Booklet
Foster/Adoptive Certification Information for Louisiana Residents
- Minimum Qualifications for Certification/Steps to Certification
- Required Documents for Certification
- Where To Go To Get Started
- Orientation, Pre-Service Training Schedules
Adoptive Certification Information for Out-of-State Residents
Additional information & Support Services
- Provider Portal
- Are you currently a certified foster/adoptive parent? If your response is yes, visit DCFS' new Provider Portal. Once registered, you will have the ability to: 1) upload/download documents; 2) submit Expenditure Affidavit - Form 435; 3) review board/expenditure history.
- Interested in becoming a certified foster/adoptive parent? Visit DCFS' new Provider Portal to submit an: 1) Inquiry; 2) Application; and 3) Expenditure Affidavit - Form 435. This feature also allows a user to upload and/or download documentation necessary for certification.
- Find a Child to Adopt
- View profiles of children on the DCFS website.
- Adoption Petition Program
- DCFS staff conduct investigations of all independent (not through an adoption agency) adoptions including stepparent, grandparent, one parent, and non-relative adoptions.
- Adoption Reunion Registry
- Begin the process of voluntary contact between adult adoptees, birth parents and/or siblings
- Louisiana Foster and Adoptive Parents Association
- Adopt US Kids
- Child Welfare Information Gateway
- North American Council on Adoptable Children
- National Adoption Center
- National Resource Center for Special Needs Adoption
- Louisiana Adoption Advisory Board
- Adoption Tax Credit Information
- You may be eligible for an Adoption Tax Credit if you recently finalized your adoption of a child with special needs, even if you do not have any qualifying expenses.
- For more information, download this document, contact your tax advisor or go to the IRS website.
Questions? Contact our Adoption staff at DCFS.Adoptions@la.gov